Sunday 27 April 2008

What's in a Name?



Or




?



Summer is coming and as the thermometer ushers its way to 20C...posties get their ghostly legs out and everyone starts to strut around Holland Park and Clapham Common with their standard issue ipod and starbucks frappacino I want to give a shout out to the MUST GO destination for Londoners this summer....wait for it....WORMWOOD SCRUBS COMMON!




No No No...I know what you're all thinking but I dont want to hear it...




The place is amazing...




Ok..ok...it does have it's downsides...notorious historicly high levels of crime....being named after a prison (although pretty sure the park was there first) and the fact that it is surrounded by Acton...oh and dodgy men sitting in the shrubbery around the side...although sure Clapham has its moments of madness to...




BUT!




in a time when all the other parks are wilting under the weight of sweaty bods people need to be thinking of alternatives, the scrubs (as I like to call it) has all the footy pitches you could ever want...rugby pitches even...so you can practice johnny wilkinson skills...for the lovers out there it has space to lie in the grass miles from anyone else (watch ou for the dodgy men though as I said) and if you fancy a run well a quick trip around its boundry is more than a match for most people....I admit it in many respects I'm allmost in love with the place....




I admit if you live nowhere near west london its goin to be a bit of a waste of time...but I plead with you all if you get a chance...hop on a tube to East Acton or White City...dont stay long because they are both horrible but go to Wormwood Scrubs for and enjoy it, live it...but dont tell too many people because then it will become crowded and crap...




with Pete Doherty's arrival at her majesty's pleasure over the road it's only a matter of time until the place becomes cool...but just remember...I saw it first...along with those weird men...but for very different reasons I like to think...








No comments: